All Irish companies now have a statutory obligation to filing their Beneficial Ownership information with the central register within 5 months of incorporation. Use Company Bureau’s Register of Beneficial Ownership Filing Service to ensure your company is compliant with this requirement.
The Central Register of Beneficial Ownership (RBO) began accepting online filings from 22nd June 2019, followed by a five-month transition period for existing companies and other entities to complete their beneficial ownership filing. All Irish Companies incorporated before June 2019 should have filed their ownership details by 22nd November 2019. It will be considered a breach of statutory duty not to file.
This new legal requirement is part of Ireland’s implementation of the 4th EU Anti-Money Laundering Directive (AML4D). More information on this requirement is available in our recent blog post: The New Central Register of Beneficial Ownership – How does it work?
Beneficial Owner Information
The RBO will hold detailed information of all beneficial owners with more than a 25% stake in a private company, trust, industrial and provident society or other applicable entity. In general, where no beneficial owners can be identified, the names of the directors / senior managers or anyone else that exerts a dominant influence in the company must be filed instead as the “beneficial owners”. The following information is required to be filed with the RBO in respect of each beneficial owner (must be a natural person):
- Company / Society Name
- Company / Society Number
- Full name*
- Date of birth
- Country of Residence
- Residential address
- Eircode (optional)
- Personal Public Service (PPS) Number Learn more
- A statement of the nature of the interest held by the beneficial owner (e.g. controlling shareholder)
- A statement of the extent of the interest held by the beneficial owner (e.g. controller of 33% of shares in the company)
- The date on which each natural person was entered in the company’s own register as a beneficial owner
- The date of cessation as beneficial owner
- If after having exhausted all possible means, no natural persons are identified as beneficial owners, there shall be entered in the register the names and details of the natural person(s) who hold the position(s) of a senior managing official(s) of the company/I&P. Relevant entities shall keep records of the actions taken to identify their beneficial owners (Regulation 5(5) of S1 110/2019).
*The forename & surname filed with the RBO must match the legally registered name of the natural person. The Registrar reserves the right to reject any submission where the name submitted to the RBO does not match the name on the individual’s PPS number as registered with the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.
The following details of the presenter making the entry to the register on behalf of the company must also be filed with the RBO. If the presenter is not a natural person, the name, address, phone number and e-mail address of a natural person for correspondence purposes is required.
- Full name
- Residential address
- Phone number
- Email address
- Capacity in which the presenter is acting: (officer/employee of company/society, individual acting on behalf of the company/society etc).
Companies/societies should familiarise themselves with their responsibilities as set out in Regulation 21 of Statutory Instrument No 110/2019. Companies/societies and their agents should also be aware of their responsibilities under GDPR and ensure compliance with the safeguarding of any personal data they hold in respect of its beneficial owners.
Beneficial Ownership Filing Service
As your trusted corporate service provider, Company Bureau is happy to assist, our Register of Beneficial Ownership Filing Service is just €150 +VAT. This service is quick as easy, just complete our short online order form and we will complete the Beneficial Ownership Filing for your Irish company.Order now
*Please note that AML4D have also created a separate legal requirement to create and maintain an Internal Register of Beneficial Owners. For more information on fulfilling this statutory requirement please call +3531 646 1625 or Contact Us.